Restoration Field Technician
On-call. 30-40 hours per week anticipated between October 1, 2018 and May 1, 2019. Position might continue after this period of time.
The Field Technician weeds out non-native invasive species using hands, small hand tools and herbicide, plants native plants, installs irrigation systems and does other physical tasks as needed. Work is on the mainland of Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties.
Duties and Responsibilities
Conduct eradication and control of invasive plants at restoration sites. Utilize hand weeding, hand tools, power tools, herbicide application equipment such as spray bottles and backpacks.
Plant native plants.
Data collection and reporting using Global Positioning Systems (GPS units).
Perform other duties as directed by superiors.
Work collaboratively as a member of a cohesive team.
- Experience identifying invasive and native plants strongly preferred.
- Must have experience utilizing hand-tools.
- Experience in the safe and effective application of herbicides preferred.
- Must be willing to work with herbicides. (Training in herbicide safety and application will be provided.)
- Must possess a Class C Driver’s License and have access to a vehicle.
- Must be willing and able to commute to the Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties independently. Travel time to the job site is typically not paid.
- Must be careful, conscientious and pay attention to detail, have a great work ethic, work efficiently, be enthusiastic, and above all be a positive functioning member of a diverse team. Ability to work independently and safely is essential.
- Ability to work and hike outdoors in all weather conditions
- Ability to work long hours outdoors
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Fieldwork involves manual labor, hiking over steep, rugged terrain with frequently unstable rocky substrate while carrying hand tools and heavy backpack sprayers.
- Handling of plants is routine.
- Must be willing to wear appropriate safety gear such as coveralls, hiking boots, gloves, and goggles.
Work EnvironmentField conditions may be windy, hot, dusty, cold, muddy, and/or wet.
Starting at $16 per hour or higher, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Submit cover letter and a résumé to Senior Ecologist email@example.com.
Channel Islands Restoration
Channel Islands Restoration is a non-profit organization that restores habitat in sensitive and unique natural areas on the California Channel Islands and adjacent mainland. We protect rare and endangered native plant and animal species by restoring the natural habitat they depend on for survival.