Bookkeeper Job Description
Channel Islands Restoration is a 501(c)(3) organization that restores habitat and educates the public regarding conservation issues. We work on the California Channel Islands and multiple locations on the mainland.
The bookkeeper position creates financial transactions and creates financial reports from that information while ensuring legal requirements compliance. The creation of financial transactions includes posting information to accounting software from such source documents as invoices to customers, cash receipts, and supplier invoices. The bookkeeper also reconciles accounts to ensure their accuracy. This position includes issuing invoices for multiple clients. This is a part-time position (about 24 hours per week). Salary is negotiable and will depend on experience.
Bookkeeper Job Duties:
- Use company system to account for financial transactions.
- Maintain accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Balance accounts by reconciling entries.
- Maintain general ledger by transferring subsidiary account summaries.
- Balance general ledger by and reconciling entries.
- Maintain historical records by filing documents.
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying requirements; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Remit them sales tax to the government
- Pay any debt as it comes due for payment
- Issue invoices to multiple customers using payroll and expense data
- Ensure that receivables are collected promptly
- Provide information to the external accountant who creates the company’s financial statements
- Record cash receipts and make bank deposits
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of every bank account
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Maintain the annual budget
- Process payroll in a timely manner
Bookkeeper Skills and Qualifications:
Developing Standards, Analyzing Information, Dealing with Complexity, Reporting Research Results, Data Entry Skills, Accounting, GAAP Rules, Attention to Detail, Confidentiality, Thoroughness.